City of Newcastle
city hall
city records
signup for notices
City of Newcastle





The Building Division for the City of Newcastle administers permit and code enforcement activities. This includes any work for both new and existing structures and covers those items mentioned under, “What Requires a Permit”. The staff members of this division include the Building Official, Combination Inspector / Code Enforcement Officer, and Permit Coordinator.

The code enforcement branch is tasked with the enforcement of the Newcastle Municipal Code (NMC) as adopted by the City Council. In it are the regulations that dictate development as well as how we are to all live within the Newcastle community. The NMC may be viewed under, “Regulations / Documents / Permits – Municipal Code”.

The goals of this division are to provide thorough and accurate inspections within a 24 hour turnaround time, excellent customer service, and a staff that is well trained and equipped to serve the needs of the citizens and customers.
I'm making repairs or improvements to my home. Do I need a permit?
Many homeowners are not aware that permits are required for specific repair or home- improvement projects. When the City’s inspector stops workers for working without the required permit, a fine is imposed. Common repair or improvement projects that require permits include:

• Re-roof- some exemptions apply, see permit requirements
• Furnace replacement
• Back-up generators
• Decks (new, replaced or repair) some exemptions apply, see permit rqmts.
• Water heater replacement
• Air conditioner installation
• Irrigation systems

If you or your contractor has a question about the permit requirements, please don’t hesitate to call.

Building Department: 425.649.4444

How do I schedule an Inspection?

To schedule an inspection call 425.276.5321 between 8AM and 5PM or          E-mail your request to

Due to volume of requests you will not receive a confirmation when requests are called in; however, all inspection requests made by 5PM will be scheduled for the next business day unless otherwise requested.

Please prepare and provide the following:

  • Permit number (if you are scheduling for a mechanical or plumbing permit associated with a building permit please ensure you provide the correct permit number and not the building permit number)
  • Desired Inspection Date and AM (8-11AM window) or PM inspection        (11-2PM window)
  • Inspection Type
  • Address
  • Name and Contact Phone Number

Who do I contact about asbestos information or notification?
The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency handles asbestos information.

phone: 206.689.4058
Who do I contact about sewer and water connections or fees?
Sewer and water in the City is provided by the Coal Creek Utility District.

phone: 425.235.9200
Who do I contact about electrical permits?
Electrical permits and inspections are handled by the Department of Labor & Industries.

phone: 425.990.1400

quick links