The permit counter is open daily from 8:00AM to 3:00PM, all applications must be received by 2:30PM.
The counter completes intake for the Building Departments Permit Applications, Public Work's Right-of-Way Permits and the Planning Departments Land Use Project Applications.
Applications must be filled out in full with all names and contact information. Contractors must provide both state and city business license information on the application.
For Electric Permits:
Electrical permits and inspections are handled by the Department of Labor & Industries. Phone: 425.990.1400
For water and sewer connections and related fees:
Contact Coal Creek Utility District. Phone: 425.235.9200
Mechanical Permits (Building Dept.):
- Are you replacing or installing a new water heater or any other mechanical fixture that is NOT associated with a remodel or new construction such as a single family home or any other building permit?
- If you answered yes, all you need to do is complete a Mechanical Application and bring it into City Hall between 8-2:30PM or you can obtain your permit online at Mybuildingpermit.com.
- If you answered no, you will need to complete a Mechanical Application and turn it in as part of your Building permit application packet. These types of mechanical permits cannot be completed over the counter and require review.
- FEES: For mechanical fees please see Fee Schedule
Plumbing Permits (Building Dept.):
- Are you replacing or installing a new shower or any other plumbing fixture that is NOT associated with a remodel or new construction such as a single family home or any other building permit?
- If you answered yes, all you need to do is complete a Plumbing Application and bring it into City Hall between 8-2:30PM or you can obtain your permit online at Mybuildingpermit.com.
- If you answered no, you will need to complete a Plumbing Application and turn it in as part of your Building permit application packet. These types of mechanical permits cannot be completed over the counter and require review.
- FEES: For plumbing fees please see Fee Schedule
Reroof Permits (Building Dept.):
- Are you replacing roof and will the sheathing be replaced?
- FEES: $218.50 (2015)
NEW Construction such as Single Family Homes, Additions, and Remodels (Building Dept.):
- If you are building new construction or expanding the footprint of the building (including decks) you will need to complete a building, plumbing and mechanical application. Please see the sample site plan and checklist to ensure you properly prepare and submit all required materials.
- If you are planning on building a deck, you will need to submit:
- A Building permit Application
- A site plan 11 X 17 (3 copies) showing the property lines, setbacks, foot print of home, proposed deck location, deck dimensions and owner information.
- An official materials and cost list or if your a hiring a contractor and official signed bid.
- Please see Deck Submittal Checklist
- If you are just replacing a deck exactly like-for-like, no site plan is required.
- FEES: Plan Review Fees due at time of submittal. Building projects of these kinds are based off of valuation. An estimate of fees cannot be provided prior to submittal. You may use the Fee Schedule and ICC valuation table to determine fees in advance.
Solar Permits (Building Dept.):
- If you are having new solar panels installed or older one replaced, you need to complete a Building Permit Application, any additional solar materials and provide construction and attachments plans.
- Solar Permits must be applied for in person between 8-2:30PM.
- Review is required.
- FEES: $508.00 (2015)
Demo Permit (Building and Public Works Dept.):
- If you will be demolishing a structure(s), you will need to complete a Demo Permit Application:
- 1 Application
- A site plan (2 copies) showing the work to be done and which structures, including construction entrance and silt fencing.
- Asbestos Abatement Report
Contact: The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency handles asbestos information. Phone: 206.689.4058
- Utility disconnection plans
- Payment of fees and Deposit
- FEES: See Fee Schedule
Right-of-Way (Public Works Dept.):
- If you be completing work in the right-of-way, digging or blocking of a road, you will need to apply for a ROW permit.
- Submit to City Hall:
- 1 Application, with the description and location of work on the front page, contact information including e-mail and bond information if necessary.
- 2 copies of all additional materials being submitted
- 1 envelope with a self addressed label and postage (1.69) if you do not plan to pick-up permit in-person within 14 days of approval. No permits will be provided electronically in advance if application did not come with self-addressed and stamped envelope.
- Payment of fees due at time of submittal.
FEES: $205.00 (2015)
How do I schedule an Inspection?
All inspection requests are to be made online through MBP at https://Inspection.MyBuildingPermit.com
Please use the link and follow the instructions below.
To schedule/ request an inspection:
Ensure the work is completed before the inspection is requested as there will not be availability to cancel same day and you may not call the inspector directly to do so as it is the sole role and responsibility of those requesting to ensure the work is complete in advance of the inspection request.
- Go to https://Inspection.MyBuildingPermit.com and select the inspection request option
- Select Newcastle from the list of cities
- Enter the permit number in the search bar not the address.
- Find the inspection(s) you would like to request from the list available for your permit
- Select the date desired for the inspections you need and identify whether you would like them during an Am or PM window.
- DO NOT select dates or window for any inspections listed expect those you are currently ready for and needing completed. Selecting and dates or windows for additional inspections will clear them from your list and make them unavailable to schedule in the future.
- Fill in the name, phone and E-mail box at the bottom. E-mail is required for Newcastle since it is how you will receive your electronic “Fail” card should your inspection fail.
- In the remarks section you must include the lot Number in addition to any other notes you may what to give to the inspector. Please ensure the Lot Number is entered first followed by the any notes you have.
What to do if you do not see the inspection you need to request:
- If you do not see the inspection you are trying to request DO NOT just pick a different one and note the one you one in the remarks. This will result in a fail for the inspection you picked and the one you want not getting scheduled.
- You must e-mail Jack at JackH@ci.newcastle.wa.us .
- In the subject line please note “ URGENT INSPECTION MISSING”.
- In the body of the e-mail please include the inspection you needed to be made available online and the permit number. Jack will make the inspection available and advise you to go online and request the inspection.
- You may also call Jack and leave a voicemail. E-mail will be the preferred and most effective method.
What to do if you need to cancel an inspection:
- You may reschedule/ cancel an inspection online prior to 5PM the day before the inspection request date only. Because all work is required to be completed prior to inspection scheduling 100% of inspections canceled due to work not complete will result in a fail and 2nd fails will result in a fine of $100.00
- Do Not call the inspector same day.
What to do if you are having technical issues with MBP.com
- You must call and contact MBP directly to resolve any technical or access issues in regards to the online requesting. They have assistance information listed on the site and are extremely swift.